Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ooooohhhh Wedding Planning...

On January 1st my fiancĂ© and I celebrated the fact that we've been engaged for a year... and we're still not getting married until September. Why the long engagement? Well, there's quite a few reasons in all truth. We live in Kansas and we'll be married in Missouri so planning from a different state is complicated. More than that, however is the fact that I come from an obscenely large family and we had so many weddings this past year if I would have said my wedding was September 2009 I'm honestly not sure if anyone would have come. The only person with a liver that could have handled it would have been my amazing Uncle Ron and since he passed away there's no one that can fill his koozie. I thought I'd start putting a few things on my lovely little blog about my wedding planning because I just KNOW that everyone's dying to hear about it. Right guys? Right? Hello? Screw you guys... I'm doing it anyway. Where to start........

I think I'll start with the wedding cake, because I'm not having one. *GASP* Yah I said it. Matty and I were talking and we both agreed that we don't really like cake. Especially not wedding cake. So why in the world would we spend a ridiculous amount of money on something we could care less about? The answer my friends is we aren't. Here’s how we came to this decision.

At first we wanted a cake because… well because that’s kind of what people DO. We talked about what shape we wanted, what color, what flavors, you name it. However, while we were talking we realized that we just could not get excited about a dang cake. I called my friends who recently got married and a few of them admitted that they don’t even REMEMBER seeing their cake. No dice. We weren’t going to pay a butt ton just to never see it. Forget it. So what would we have? For awhile we talked about having a cookie bar because I l-o-v-e cookies. I love to bake them, eat them, decorate them, you name it. Here were some picture we found (side note: it’s been so long since I found these photos that I have clue where they came from so if they’re yours let me know).  The first one is just a bunch of cookies in jars.  Simple.  Perfect.



How cool is that?  Cool enough for me to bake a bunch of cookies the days before my wedding.  Not really.  I was really doubting the whole "cookie bar" idea and then I found this picture:



Still adorable, right?  Still not cute enough to motivate me to bake like that.  Typically I love baking cookies (as I said before), but typically I don't bring any leftovers home.  That means that no matter how many cookies I make they either get eaten or someone throws them away on the sly... either way that means a BUNCH of cookies.  Next we were thinking that maybe candy.  Yah!  Candy bars are really popular now.  I found some super cute pictures of those, too.



We even found an adorable kid's table idea:



I think we're sticking with the kid's table idea, complete with the brown paper and crayons for all the little ones running around.  Hopefully they look happier sitting at the table than the kid in the picture above.  Did they force him to sit there?  Anyway here's what we ended up choosing for our dessert... get excited...



PIE!!!!!!!!  We're going to have wedding pie.  I couldn't love this idea more if I freakin' tried.  Both Matty and I love pie and, really who doesn't love pie?  Crazy people, that's who.  Now, don't panic all your cake eaters... there will be cake there.  Just not a whole bunch.  We're going ask all our bridal party what their favorite pie is and make sure they either get a slice or, if we can swing it, their own personal pie.  The cuteness will be OVERWHELMING.  Matty and I are even going to cut a wedding pie.  Now if we could just agree on a flavor for that...


1 comment:

  1. I think a wedding pie would be fabulous! I'm voting for apple. :) Good luck with all the planning. We can definitely sympathize with the living in one state, planning in another scenario!

    ReplyDelete